The Johnson Schoolhouse is an historic building located near the turnoff to Confederate Gulch on MT Highway 284. The schoolhouse is situated on private property owned by Diane and Michael Brown. With the generous permission of Diane and Michael Brown, Preserve Broadwater History, Inc is working to first preserve the schoolhouse then restore the schoolhouse.
The Johson Schoolhouse has been vacant since the consolidation of the Broadwater elementary schools in 1952 into the Cecilia Hazelton elementary school in Townsend. Previous owners of the schoolhouse have made efforts to preserve the schoolhouse but it is showing serious signs of deterioration.
Preserve Broadwater History plans to raise money through donations and grants to:
- first seal up the interior of the schoolhouse from the weather
- clean up the interior of the schoolhouse (bat guano, pigeon guano, etc)
- relocate the schoolhouse (hopefully adjacent to the Canton Church)
- restore the school house
- open the historic school house up to public for a variety of purposes
Diane Brown has donated a portion of an Historical Significance Evaluation of the buildings of the northeast portion of the Missouri Valley.
Pertaining to the Johnson Schoolhouse:
The Johnson School is a well-preserved rural Montana school, including schoolhouse, wood shed, and outhouse. Standing at the south edge of Clear Creek, it served nearby ranching families for almost one-half century.
Read the entire portion of the document donated by Diane Brown: evaluation of the buildings
Visit this website often to follow our progress!